An official website of the United States government

Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status
April 1, 2022

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), please download and print the attached form and follow the instructions below. There is no fee for this service.


You will need to complete the Form I-407, “Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status” (PDF, 353.77KB).

To ensure your application is not rejected, please read carefully and follow the Form I-407 Instructions (PDF, 281.27KB).

You will need to complete Form I-407 in English, and be sure to provide your alien registration number (“A-number”). If you previously filed a benefit request using the USCIS Electronic Immigration System (ELIS), please provide the USCIS account number, if possible.

Filing I-407 by Mail (Recommended method)

There is no USCIS Office in Taiwan. If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and relinquish your I-551 Permanent Resident Card (“Green card”), you should file Form I-407 by mail directly to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 unit
124 Leroy Road
PO Box 567
Williston, VT  05495

Please note that any submissions containing an unsigned Form I-407 or unsigned statement of abandonment will be rejected and returned unprocessed by USCIS. AIT cannot assist you with mailed applications. For any inquiries regarding mailed applications, please contact see the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov/I-407.

Filing I-407 in Person

Individuals may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.

Processing Times at the Eastern Forms Center

Processing times at the Eastern Forms Center, from receipt to completion, may take up to 60 days, which does not include mailing time to or from abroad.

What Happens Next

Once the I-407 is completed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-immigrant.  If you intend to visit the U.S., you may apply for a non-immigrant visa or to apply for ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program.  For more information on ESTA, please refer to the Visa Waiver Program.

You should keep a copy of the completed I-407 in your passport whenever you apply for a visa or travel to the United States.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States again in the future. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

For more information on Permanent Residence in the United States, see U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services or U.S. Customs and Board Protection.

Minor Child Abandonments Require Parental Consent

If seeking to file a green card abandonment on behalf of a child who is age 14 or younger, each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form I-407.

  • The parent or custodial parent must submit evidence to establish the parental relationship to the minor.
  • The duly appointed legal guardian must submit evidence of guardianship for the minor.

(Posted on 2019/07/25, IV)