PR-1162E | Date: 11/10/2011
The American institute in Taiwan will celebrate the 12th annual International Education Week from November 14-18, 2011 to recognize the value of international educational exchange in developing mutual understanding and respect around the world. In collaboration with the EducationUSA Advising Center located at the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (Fulbright Office), AIT will host a number of programs to promote the benefits of international education.
International Education Week is an annual joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education that celebrates the benefits of international education and exchange. International education is a key component of “smart power ” – it opens doors for young people to increase mutual understanding and bridge socio-economic, cultural, and geographic borders to engage in people-to-people connections in the communities worldwide.
AIT’s International Education Week activities include:
- A radio interview with AIT Cultural Affairs Officer on “U.S. Higher Education” on Taiwan’s National Education Radio. This program will be broadcast at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, November 10 at FM frequency 101.7MHz.
- A series of EducationUSA Taiwan Podcast on U.S. higher education. Topics include general issues related to U.S. higher education, the admissions process, applying for a U.S. student visa, and U.S. campus life. AIT will launch one podcast daily during the 2011 International Education Week. [Podcast Link]
- A talk with Baseball Legend Carl “Stump” Merrill on “Inside the New York Yankees” at the AIT American Cultural Center on Monday, November 14, from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Mr. Merrill will share experiences from his distinguished career in baseball. Students and general public are welcome.
- An EducationUSA information booth at National Taiwan University’s Study Abroad Fair on Tuesday, November 15. The booth will be staffed by representatives of AIT and the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange.
- Two student-centered speaker programs focused on “Myths of the U.S. Higher Education” at a local high school and another on “What is Public Diplomacy” at a local university.
- Open to public programs focused on “Understanding the U.S. University Admissions Process” (Wednesday, November 16, from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.) and “U.S. Biotechnology Degree Programs” (Thursday, November 17, from 6:00-7:00 p.m.) at the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (3F, 45 Yanping S. Road, Taipei 10043).
- Taiwan is among the world’s leading sources of students to the United States and education is an important link between the United States and Taiwan. AIT is pleased to work with the U.S. State Department-affiliated EducationUSA center in Taiwan located at the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (www.educationusa.tw). This center offers free, accurate, comprehensive, objective and timely information about educational opportunities in the United States, and provides guidance on how best to access those opportunities.
More details about International Education Week activities in Taiwan can be found on the website below: