November 15, 2019
AIT Celebrates 2019 International Education Week
November 18-22, 2019
The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) will celebrate International Education Week (IEW) from November 18-22, 2019. IEW is an initiative of the U.S. Departments of State and Education that promotes the benefits of international education and exchange programs worldwide. In keeping with the spirit of IEW, AIT will host and participate in education-related events, with a special emphasis on English language education. AIT’s social media platforms will also have special IEW content.
2019 AIT International Education Week Events
- EducationUSA Virtual College Fair on November 20: The 7th annual EducationUSA International Students Day virtual college fair, organized by EducationUSA in partnership with CollegeWeekLive, will take place on Wednesday, November 20 from 5:00 PM to 5:00 AM (4:00AM–4:00PM EST, November 20, 2019). Participants will be able to chat live with representatives from over 80 U.S. colleges and universities, as well as EducationUSA advisers, and can watch presentations from U.S. experts about choosing a college, standardized testing, writing a standout college essay, and more. This is a free and easy way for Taiwan students to learn about higher education opportunities in the United States. Save the date! Please click the link below to register: https://educationusa.state.gov/events/iew-2019-virtual-college-fair-collegeweeklive
- International Education Advising Events: During IEW, the EducationUSA Advising Center in Taiwan will host two public events, on November 18 and November 21, on higher education in the United States. Advance registration is required. Please register using the EducationUSA website: http://www.educationusa.tw/dispPageBox/CtUstudy.aspx?ddsPageID=USTUDYABA&
- English Language Specialist Program: S. State Department English Language Specialist Dr. Adrienne Johnson (Missouri Western State University) will deliver workshops from November 12 to 23 for pre-service and in-service teachers on using English to teach math and science in Taipei, Changhua, and Kaohsiung. These workshops will be held in cooperation with National Kaohsiung Normal University, the Changhua International Education and English Teaching Resource Center, National Changhua University of Education, National Taipei University of Education, National Taiwan Normal University, and the Ministry of Education’s Department of Teacher Training and Art Education.
- English Language Fellow Program: AIT recently welcomed the arrival of State Department English Language Fellow Mr. Robert Powell. Powell, an experienced English and STEM teacher from North Carolina, is the first English Language Fellow to be assigned to Taiwan since 2012. During the 2019 academic year, he will train pre-service and in-service teachers at National Taipei University of Education and National Pingtung University on topics including STEM English, Media English, and English Language and Culture. On November 22, he will share his teaching experiences with over 120 Fulbright English Teaching Assistants at the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange.
- AIT Director’s Fourth “Promotes” Speech and Press Availability on November 22: AIT Director Brent Christensen will discuss the latest trends in U.S.-Taiwan educational exchange during a speech and press availability on “Promoting People-to-People Ties” on November 22. This speech is the fourth and the last of Director Christensen’s “Promotes” speeches laying out his key priorities. He will also announce a new AIT@40 Digital Dialogue with Taiwan on “Promoting People to People to Ties.” Learn more about the AIT@40 Digital Dialogues here: https://www.ait.org.tw/ait-at-40/digital-dialogues/.