January 17, 2020
AIT@40 Fact Sheet
2019 marked the 40th anniversary of the Taiwan Relations Act, which laid the foundation for U.S.-Taiwan unofficial ties and established the American Institute in Taiwan to manage this relationship. The AIT@40 campaign was a yearlong effort to celebrate the multi-faceted nature of the U.S.-Taiwan partnership through a broad range of activities divided by twelve monthly themes. The campaign featured dozens of events (partial list below) and hundreds of Facebook and Instagram posts highlighting the U.S.-Taiwan friendship’s past, present, and future. It also included four major speeches by AIT Director Brent Christensen, each focusing on one of his four priorities, known as his 《四個增進》.
Further information about any entries below available upon request.
- AIT’s relocation to Neihu
- Launch of Talent Circulation Alliance
- Inaugural class of the Indo-Pacific Security Fellows
- Announcement of the U.S.-Taiwan Consultations on Democratic Governance in the Indo-Pacific Region
- S.-Taiwan Travel Year
- “Strong Foundation, Bright Future: AIT@40” Traveling Exhibition
- “Today in History” social media series
- American Film Showcase (AFS) Film Screening Series
- TRA@40 celebration featuring former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Paul Ryan
“Strong Foundation, Bright Future: AIT@40” Traveling Exhibition
The “Strong Foundation, Bright Future: AIT@40” traveling exhibition featured both traditional and interactive elements displaying major events and achievements in the U.S.-Taiwan friendship over the past 40 years, including hundreds of archival photos, oral history videos with prominent figures, and augmented reality and virtual reality elements. The exhibition originally opened at Taipei’s 228 Peace Museum, then toured 10 other cities across Taiwan throughout the year, attracting more than 70,000 visitors. With the help of TECRO, the Exhibition also opened in Washington, DC and Honolulu.
Monthly Themes and Selected Events:
JANUARY 2019 – CAMPAIGN INAUGURATION
- “U.S.-Taiwan Travel Year” launch
- Social Media Series: “USA Through My Eyes” online photo competition launch
FEBRUARY 2019 – AIT@40 SCIENCE MONTH
- AIT Sponsored Exhibition: S.-Taiwan Space & Astronomy Exhibition at the Taipei Museum of Astronomy
- Visiting Expert: Expert on waste management and marine debris,Jenna Jambeck
- AFS Film Screening: Hidden Figures
MARCH 2019 – AIT@40 SHARED VALUES MONTH
- AIT Event: Joint Press Conference announcing the U.S.-Taiwan Consultations on Democratic Governance in the Indo-Pacific Region
- AIT Event: Civil Society Dialogue on Securing Religious Freedom in the Indo-Pacific Region
- Visiting Expert: Wisconsin Innocence Project Co-Director Carrie Sperling
- GCTF: Anti-Corruption Global Cooperation and Training Framework (GCTF) workshop
APRIL 2019 – AIT@40 TRADE & INVESTMENT MONTH
- AIT Event: TRA & AIT@40: Celebrating 40 Years of Friendship, at which AIT Director Brent Christensen and AIT Chairman James Moriarty were joined by President Tsai Ing-wen, former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Paul Ryan, and others at AIT to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Taiwan Relations Act
- GCTF: Women’s Economic Empowerment Summit plus Global Cooperation and Training Framework workshop, featuring remarks by President Tsai and representatives from TSMC, Facebook, Uber, Microsoft, and the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Trade Event: National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show in Las Vegas
- Trade Event: Warner Brothers Technical Assistance Tour in Los Angeles
- Trade Event: AIT welcomed the first-ever U.S. agricultural trade mission to Taiwan
- 《四個增進》Speech #1: Promote Taiwan’s Role in the International Community
MAY 2019 – AIT@40 IMMIGRATION & EXCHANGE MONTH
- Exchange Program: AIT@40 Youth Leadership Exchange Program, the first ever AIT-sponsored high school exchange program
- AFS Film Screening with Director: TIME Firsts, featuring an introduction by Taiwanese-American filmmaker Diane Tsai
- AIT Event: Exchange Opportunities Day, a live-streamed, open-press event featuring a panel of Taiwan “mentors” who had either worked or studied in the United States before returning to Taiwan to apply their skills and experience.
- Social Media Series: “My Immigrant Experience,” in which AIT employees shared their or their families’ own experiences as immigrants to the United States.
JUNE 2019 – AIT@40 TECHNOLOGY & DIGITAL ECONOMY MONTH
- GCTF: Global Cooperation and Training Framework workshop on Network Security and Emerging Technologies, during which Taiwan announced plans to create a regional cybersecurity center of excellence
- AIT Featured Speaker: Computex, featuring remarks by AIT Director Brent Christensen and President Tsai
- 《四個增進》Speech #2: Promote U.S.-Taiwan Economic and Commercial Ties
JULY 2019 – AIT@40 ARTS, CULTURE AND SPORTS MONTH
- Visiting Experts: Holly Warlick and Carol Jue, celebrated women’s basketball coaches from American universities, came to Taiwan as sports envoys and held workshops with Taiwanese women’s high school and college teams.
- AIT Event: Sports Camp for Aboriginal & Disadvantaged Youth from the Boyo Social Welfare Foundation
- AIT Event: Carnegie Hall National Youth Jazz Orchestra visit and concerts
- AFS Film Screenings: Chasing Trane and Restless Creature
AUGUST 2019 – AIT@40 SECURITY COOPERATION MONTH
- AIT Event: Director’s visit to Kaohsiung, during which Facebook and Instagram fans were able to virtually follow AIT Director Brent Christensen’s tours of a Kee Lung-class guided missile destroyer sold to Taiwan in 2003, and the Port of Kaohsiung, a site of important U.S.-Taiwan anti-trafficking cooperation
- 《四個增進》Speech #3: Promote U.S.-Taiwan Security Cooperation.
- Exchange Program: Indo-Pacific Security Fellows program launch
- AFS Film Screening: Lost Black Cats, about an ROC Air Force squadron that carried out high-risk surveillance missions during the Cold War.
- AIT Featured Speaker: Taipei Aerospace & Defense Technology Exhibition (TADTE) Opening Ceremony featured remarks by AIT Director Christensen and President Tsai
SEPTEMBER 2019 – AIT@40 EDUCATION MONTH
- Exchange Program: Fulbright Welcome Reception for the new class of Fulbright scholars, who will teach, study, or perform research throughout Taiwan
- Visiting Expert: Springville (Utah) Art Museum curator Dr. Rita Wright met with staff from public and private museums in Southern Taiwan to discuss museum management and explore future collaborations
- GCTF: Global Cooperation and Training Framework workshop on Defending Democracy through Media Literacy
OCTOBER 2019 – AIT@40 FOOD AND BEVERAGE MONTH
- Social Media Series: Oral History of the U.S.-Taiwan Agricultural Relationship, a series of oral histories from the key leaders who made major contributions to the U.S.-Taiwan agricultural partnership over the last four decades.
- Social Media Series: American Food in Taiwan, which invited followers to share their favorite American dishes found in local restaurants and stores. Some participants were selected to attend an event where Michelin-rated Chef Danny.
- AIT Event: World Vegetable Center visit by AIT Director Christensen
- Trade Event: California Vintners Trade Mission
NOVEMBER 2019 – AIT@40 INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP MONTH
- AIT Event: Cyber Offensive and Defensive Exercises, the first cybersecurity exercises held between the U.S. and Taiwan.
- 《四個增進》Speech #4: Promote U.S.-Taiwan People-to-People Ties
- AIT Event: Talent Circulation Summit launching the U.S.-Taiwan Talent Circulation Alliance
- GCTF: Global Cooperation and Training Framework workshop on Women’s Empowerment in connection with StartOpps
- GCTF: Global Cooperation and Training Framework workshop on Indo-Pacific Energy Governance
DECEMBER 2019 – AIT@40 ENVIRONMENT MONTH
- AIT Event: Global Environmental Education Partnership (GEEP) Asia-Pacific Regional Center Opening to improve and promote environmental education around the world.
- Visiting Experts: NASA Senior Outreach Specialists Dorian Wood Janney and Peter Falcon conducted a workshop for educators involved in GLOBE, an international science and education program that connects students, teachers, and scientists for environmental protection, data collection, and science-related activities
- AFS Film Screening: A Plastic Ocean, a U.S. documentary on the shocking impact of marine debris