An official website of the United States government


Please note: All visitors to American Citizen Services over the age of two years old are required to wear a mask in the waiting room. You will not be allowed entry without a mask.  Social distancing rules apply at all times.

Taiwan has implemented temporary measures to counter the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak. In accordance with Taiwan regulations, any individual who is subject to quarantine will not be allowed to enter AIT. Please schedule appointments accordingly. For the latest updates on Taiwan’s quarantine requirements, please monitor the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control website and the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Please also reschedule your appointment if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms or believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19.

Please arrive for sign-in during the window allotted (no later than 10 minutes early or late) to your appointment.  If you are not able to arrive on time, please reschedule your visit online. There are no exceptions to this requirement. 



Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Congratulations on your child’s birth!  Your new baby needs a first passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad. On this page we’ll tell you what you need to do to get all two items.

A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents is eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

The CRBA application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we strongly recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

A CRBA is not a travel document  We recommended that you submit an application for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time.  All two applications may be submitted together at your scheduled appointment.  Even if your child holds another nationality, he or she must enter and exit the United States on a U.S. passport.