Last updated: January 19, 2023
The U.S. CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes, visa free tourism resumed September 29, 2022.
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? Yes.
- Travelers who test positive abroad are required to wait over seven days from their specimen collection date before taking a flight to Taiwan. More information can be found here.
- Inbound passengers no longer need to show a COVID-19 test result prior to boarding a flight to Taiwan.
- Travelers are allowed to transit through Taiwan. More information can be found here.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes.
- For the latest updates on Taiwan’s entry requirements, please monitor the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control website and the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No.
- Effective October 13, 2022, Taiwan has lifted the quarantine requirement for all arrivals and require 7-day period of self-initiated epidemic prevention. Taiwan maintains a requirement that arrivals may stay “one person per room” during the 7-day period. More information can be found here. If you will require a hotel, and need a list of Taiwan quarantine hotels, please see here.
- Effective December 1, 2022, Taiwan to ease mask mandate. More information can be found here.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Taiwan? Yes.
- For a list of COVID testing centers in Taiwan, please see here under the heading “Designated Hospital List for out-of-pocket COVID-19 PCR testing.”
- Are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes.
- Self-pay COVID-19 test is widely available at hospitals throughout Taiwan.
- An English test report is available after 48 hours or less.
- Test report can be delivered only by in-person pick up.
- Cost of testing as listed by the hospitals varies from NTD 3,500 to NTD 8,000 (USD 110–250)
- If you are currently in Taiwan and believe that you may have symptoms of COVID-19, please visit the Centers for Disease Control website or call the Communicable Disease Prevention and Reporting Hotline at 1922 for information.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Are vaccines available in Taiwan for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes. It is available only to those residing in Taiwan with an ARC.
- Which vaccines are available in Taiwan? AstraZeneca, Moderna, BNT and Medigen.
- Information about the availability of the vaccine in Taiwan can be found on here (Taiwan CDC) and here (National Immigration Agency).
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to CDC’s requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID test, please review CDC’s website.
- Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis and will only be considered when the country of departure lacks adequate COVID-19 testing capacity. To submit information in support of an exemption, email <TaipeiACS@state.gov>
- AIT latest Health Alert message
- Taiwan Centers for Disease Control
- Taiwan Ministry of Health and Welfare
- Bureau of Consular Affairs, Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs