An official website of the United States government

Driving in Taiwan
April 1, 2022

During your first 30 days in Taiwan, you may drive using a valid International Driving Permit (IDP). The IDP is available through the American Automobile Association (AAA), and application information is available on the Internet through their website. If you do not have an IDP, you may not drive in Taiwan until you have obtained a permanent Taiwan driver’s license. After your first 30 days in Taiwan, you must apply at the Motor Vehicles Office for an extension of your IDP.

How to get your International Driving Permit extended?

Depending on reciprocity with your home state, you can have your International Driving Permit extended by the Motor Vehicles Office at Taipei, allowing you to continue driving in Taiwan until the end of the duration of stay on your visa OR the expiration date of your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).

You should consult with the Motor Vehicles Office at Taipei for specific requirements. Our current understanding is that you will need a valid International Driving Permit, a valid US driver’s license, passport or ARC, a completed application form, and a photo.

How to apply for a Permanent Driver’s License?

If you have a Taiwan National ID Card and a valid US driver’s license OR If you have an ARC and a valid driver’s license from a selected list (click here)of U.S. States your driver’s license can be exchanged for the same class of license without your having to take a driving test.

You should consult with the Motor Vehicles Office at Taipei for specific requirements and fees. Our current understanding is that you will need an ARC (must be valid for more than one year) or Taiwan National ID Card, valid US driver’s license, valid passport, health certificate issued by a Taiwan public hospital, a completed application form, several photos and a fee.

PLEASE NOTE: The U.S. license must have been authenticated in the U.S. by the jurisdictional Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) OR you can sign a statement swearing your license is legitimate and have that statement notarized at the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT). For more information about AIT’s notary appointment procedures, please visit the “Notary Services” page.

Foreigners who hold an ARC but do not have an accepted state driver’s license or International Driving Permit must go through the testing system in Taiwan. The testing materials are available in English in the Taipei area only.

Holders of a valid ARC and a Taiwan driver’s license may apply for the International Driving Permit of Taiwan.

Application can be submitted to the Motor Vehicles Office . 

Taipei Office:
21, Section 4, Bade Road / Tel: 02-27630155 ext. 201-203
80, Section 5, Chengde Road / Tel: 02-28314155 ext 325-327 (Shilin branch)

You can also find related information on how to acquire a Driver’s License in Taiwan on the National Immigration Agency website.

AIT is unable to renew your U.S. issued driver license, please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the U.S. state where your license was issued for renewal.

Can I notarize my U.S. driver’s license at AIT?
You can sign a statement swearing your license is legitimate and the form is available at AIT. We will take your oath and notarize your signature on the document.  You must make an appointment for a notarial service and bring your original valid driver’s license and a photocopy. The fee for this service is $50.

Driving or riding as a passenger on a scooter or motorcycle in Taiwan can be very dangerous.  Three U.S. citizens in Taiwan have died in scooter accidents in recent years.  If you choose to ride a scooter, use extreme caution.

A license is required to ride a scooter or a motorcycle.  The requirements and procedures for applying for a driver’s license for a motorcycle (engine over 50 cc) are the same as that for a vehicle driver’s license.

Applicants must take a written test to apply for a license to ride scooter.  The Motor Vehicle Office will not allow you to exchange or extend your international driver’s license or US driver’s license when applying for scooter license.