An official website of the United States government

First 10-Year Passport (Age 16 and above)


  • Applicants must appear in person through a pre-arranged appointment.
  • Accompanied parents are permitted to submit their adult passport renewal in person if accompanied by a minor’s passport application.
  • The processing time is 6 weeks.
  • Expedite passport service is not available overseas.
  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.



Before Your Appointment

You are required to prepare the following for your application:
  1. Form DS-11(Online Form Filler): Please print this completed, unsigned form to your appointment.  The Consular Officer will ask you to sign this form during your appointment.
  2. Your most recent U.S. passport.
  3. A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications, if you have been issued one.  If you do not have a Social Security number or cannot recall if you have one, please click HERE.
  4. One passport photo (2 x 2 inch or 5 x 5 cm): The passport photo size is 2X2 inch or 5X5 cm (same as photo for U.S. visa).  No eyeglasses.  Click HERE for more information on passport photo requirements.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
  5. Age progression photos: 1 photo for each year.  If your appearance has changed significantly since your last passport was issued, please provide a series of photos that show your age progression (one photo for each year).  You may print multiple photos on one page.

Applicant Age between 16 to 17

If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport. For more information, please see Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

  • A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport.
  • A signed statement Form DS-3053 consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID). A PDF-fillable version of the form DS-3053 is available HERE for the affiant to fill out electronically and print.


Schedule Your Appointment at AIT

Please click HERE to schedule an appointment online.  Please note that all U.S. citizen services provided by AIT are by appointment only.


On the Day of Your Appointment

  • Click HERE to learn about AIT’s Security Notice.
  • Please follow AIT staff’s instruction during your appointment.
  • Non-Refundable Application Fee:
    • Passport Book: US$165; Passport Card: US$30.
    • At AIT Taipei and Kaohsiung, fees may be paid in either US or NT dollars cash or by credit card.  All credit card transactions are in U.S. Dollars.  All U.S. dollar banknotes must be clean.  We cannot accept ripped, worn, or damaged banknotes.  We do not accept personal checks.

      AIT ACS Payment Notice
      Click the image to enlarge
  • Your new passport will be delivered to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.


Additional Information

  • Your previous passport will be canceled and returned to you during your appointment. AIT will not cancel valid visas remaining in the old passport.
  • Change of Place of Birth
    • If your current passport lists your place of birth as “China” and you wish to change it to “Taiwan” on your new passport, you must list Taiwan as your place of birth (section 4) on your application form, and show us one of the following evidence to prove that you were born in Taiwan:
      • Unexpired Taiwan passport and 1 photocopy.  The Taiwan passport will be returned to you after the interview.
      • English version of the Taiwan Household Registration Transcript.
  • Change of Gender Marker
    • Passport applicants are able to self-certify their gender, and parents are able to self-certify the gender of their children. At this time, applicants can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified/another gender identity (X) as your gender marker when applying for a U.S. regular passport book.
    • The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID.  We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.