An official website of the United States government

Parental Consent for Minors

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.  Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport.  The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if parents/guardians cannot appear in person?

Click on the situation that applies to you


If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person

The parent/guardian can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.”  You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.

Photocopies or scanned copies are not acceptable. The form must be less than three months old.

Please note:

  • AIT can notarize the Form DS-3053 at no cost.
  • In Taiwan, a DS-3053 notarized by a local notary public is acceptable.


If you have sole custody

You must submit evidence of this with the application.  Examples include:

  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order.
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport.
  • Original or certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent.
  • Original or certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent.
  • Original or certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person.
  • Original or certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person (e.g. U.S. issued death certificate, Consular Report of Death Abroad, or Taiwan Household Registration Transcript).
  • Taiwan Household Registration Transcript showing divorce and name of custodial parent.

Foreign documents must be accompanied by English translations.


If neither parent/guardian able to appear in person

A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent”  from each parent.  Each parent/guardian must notarize a Form DS-3053 and give the third party permission to apply for the child.

  • The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification.
  • When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.


If you cannot locate the other parent, or other exigent circumstances apply

You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.”

  • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
  • We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.