An official website of the United States government

Children Passport Renewals (Under Age 16)


  • Applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents through a pre-arranged appointment.
  • Parents are permitted to submit their adult passport renewal in person if accompanied by a minor’s passport application.
  • The processing time is 6 weeks.
  • Expedite passport service is not available overseas.
  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.


Before Your Appointment

You are required to prepare the following for your application:
  1. Form DS-11(Online Form Filler): Please print this completed, unsigned form to your appointment.  The Consular Officer will ask you to sign this form during your appointment.
  2. Child’s most recent U.S. passport
  3. Evidence of relationship between the child and the parents: Such evidence may include but is not limited to: child’s U.S. issued birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  4. Valid government issued photo ID for both parents: Such as a passport or U.S. driver’s license with name in English that matches the names on the child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  5. A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications, if you have been issued one.  If you do not have a Social Security number or cannot recall if you have one, please click HERE.
  6. One passport photo (2 x 2 inch or 5 x 5 cm): The passport photo size is 2X2 inch or 5X5 cm (same as photo for U.S. visa).  No eyeglasses.  Click HERE for more information on passport photo requirements.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
  7. Age progression photos: 1 photo for each year. Provide a series of photos that show your child’s age progression (one photo for each year) starting from the year when the last passport was issued.  You may print multiple photos on one page.
  8. Child’s second photo ID (if applicable): Required if the child’s passport has expired for more than 10 years.  The ID (eg. a foreign passport) must have a validity, a photo and the name shown must be the same as in the child’s U.S. passport.

Parental Consent for Minors

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.  Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport.  The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if parents/guardians cannot appear in person?


Schedule Your Appointment at AIT

Please click HERE to schedule an appointment online.  Please note that all U.S. citizen services provided by AIT are by appointment only.


On the Day of Your Appointment

  • Click HERE to learn about AIT’s Security Notice.
  • Please follow AIT staff’s instruction during your appointment.
  • Non-Refundable Application Fee:
    • Passport Book: US$135; Passport Card: US$15.
    • At AIT Taipei and Kaohsiung, fees may be paid in either US or NT dollars cash or by credit card.  All credit card transactions are in U.S. Dollars.  All U.S. dollar banknotes must be clean.  We cannot accept ripped, worn, or damaged banknotes.  We do not accept personal checks.

      AIT ACS Payment Notice
      Click the image to enlarge
  • Your new passport will be delivered to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.


Additional Information

  • The child’s previous passport will be canceled and returned to you during your appointment.  AIT will not cancel valid visas remaining in the old passport.
  • If the parent(s) has/have changed their names, please bring the legal documents of name change listing both previous and current names:
    • Original Taiwan Household Registration in English (issued within three months), or
    • Original or certified true copy of the court order, or
    • Original or certified true copy of the Marriage Certificate.
      All forms, certificates, documents, and signatures must have the same name listed, or a legal name change document must be presented.
  • Non English documents. It is usually possible in Taiwan to request English-language versions of common documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, and household registration records. Please request these. All documents in any other language must be professionally translated. The translation cannot be performed by your family member or friend; it must be performed by someone with a professional translation certification. In addition, if a Chinese document is complex or longer than one page, such as a court order or a long affidavit, or if the original language is not Chinese, the translation should then be notarized before you bring it to AIT.
  • Change of Place of Birth
    • If your current passport lists your place of birth as “China” and you wish to change it to “Taiwan” on your new passport, you must list Taiwan as your place of birth (section 4) on your application form, and show us one of the following evidence to prove that you were born in Taiwan:
      • Unexpired Taiwan passport and 1 photocopy.  The Taiwan passport will be returned to you after the interview.
      • English version of the Taiwan Household Registration Transcript.
  • Change of Gender Marker
    • Passport applicants are able to self-certify their gender, and parents are able to self-certify the gender of their children. At this time, applicants can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified/another gender identity (X) as your gender marker when applying for a U.S. regular passport book.
    • The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID.  We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.