An official website of the United States government

Replacing a Lost/Stolen Passport


  • Applicants must appear in person through a pre-arranged appointment.
  • The processing time is 6 weeks.
  • Expedite passport service is not available overseas.
  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided).  Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
  • A full-validity passport can only be issued when you have submitted sufficient evidence of citizenship AND identity.  If you cannot submit evidence of citizenship AND identity, you will be issued a limited-validity passport.


Before Your Appointment

You are required to prepare the following for your application:
  1. Form DS-11(Online Form Filler): Please print this completed, unsigned form to your appointment.  The Consular Officer will ask you to sign this form during your appointment.
  2. Form DS-64 (Online Form Filler): Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport.  Complete and print the form.
  3. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship:  Such evidence may include but is not limited to: an expired U.S. passport, U.S. birth or naturalization certificate, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  4. Valid government issued photo ID: Such as an expired U.S. or valid foreign passport, driver’s license, or military ID.
  5. A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications, if you have been issued one.  If you do not have a Social Security number or cannot recall if you have one, please click HERE.
  6. One passport photo (2 x 2 inch or 5 x 5 cm): The passport photo size is 2X2 inch or 5X5 cm (same as photo for U.S. visa).  No eyeglasses.  Click HERE for more information on passport photo requirements.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
  7. Applicants under Age 16:  In addition to Form DS-64, please click HERE for the instructions on application for children under age 16.


Schedule Your Appointment at AIT

Please click HERE to schedule an appointment online.  Please note that all U.S. citizen services provided by AIT are by appointment only.


On the Day of Your Appointment

  • Click HERE to learn about AIT’s Security Notice.
  • Please follow AIT staff’s instruction during your appointment.
  • Non-Refundable Application Fee:
    • Applicants under age 16: Passport Book: US$135; Passport Card: US$15.
    • Applicants above age 16: Passport Book: US$165; Passport Card: US$30.
    • At AIT Taipei and Kaohsiung, fees may be paid in either US or NT dollars cash or by credit card.  All credit card transactions are in U.S. Dollars.  All U.S. dollar banknotes must be clean.  We cannot accept ripped, worn, or damaged banknotes.  We do not accept personal checks.

      AIT ACS Payment Notice
      Click the image to enlarge
  • Your new passport will be delivered to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.


Additional Information

  • NIA Report on Lost/Stolen Passport: If you enter Taiwan on your U.S. passport, a written report of lost or stolen passport issued by one of the National Immigration Agency Service Centers is required to depart Taiwan.
  • Emergency travel: If you have an emergency travel need and can provide proof of a paid itinerary for travel in less than one week, you may request for a limited validity emergency passport, the Consular officer will determine if you qualify for an emergency passport on a case by case basis.
  • If you have changed your names, please bring the legal documents of name change listing both previous and current names:
    • Original Taiwan Household Registration in English, or
    • Original or certified true copy of the court order, or
    • Original or certified true copy of the Marriage Certificate.
       All forms, certificates, documents, and signatures must have the same name listed, or a legal name change document must be presented.
  • Change of Place of Birth
    • If your current passport lists your place of birth as “China” and you wish to change it to “Taiwan” on your new passport, you must list Taiwan as your place of birth (section 4) on your application form, and show us one of the following evidence to prove that you were born in Taiwan:
      • Unexpired Taiwan passport and 1 photocopy.  The Taiwan passport will be returned to you after the interview.
      • English version of the Taiwan Household Registration Transcript.
  • Change of gender marker
    • Passport applicants are able to self-certify their gender, and parents are able to self-certify the gender of their children. At this time, applicants can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified/another gender identity (X) as your gender marker when applying for a U.S. regular passport book.
    • The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID.  We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.