Summer Work Travel (SWT) Program

The Summer Work Travel program provides foreign students with an opportunity to live and work in the United States during their summer vacation from college or university to experience and to be exposed to the people and way of life in the United States.

Through this category, foreign post-secondary students who are currently enrolled in post-secondary degree programs may enter the United States to work and travel for a maximum of four months during their summer vacations. Students are sponsored to enter the U.S. for this program by designated private organizations known as sponsors.

Summer Work Travel Students must be:

  • Sufficiently proficient in English to successfully interact in an English speaking environment;
  • Post-secondary school students enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited classroom based, post-secondary educational institution outside the United States;
  • Have successfully completed at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study; and
  • Pre-placed in a job prior to entry unless from a visa waiver country.