An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance

If you are a U.S. citizen in Taiwan and you are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances, please visit Travel.State.Gov for tips about how to get money.

If you are having trouble getting in touch with family or friends that can help you, or if you are not sure who to contact, you should contact us.  We can:

  • Help you contact your family, friends, bank, credit card company or employer to arrange for the transfer of funds
  • Provide information on other steps you may be able to take within Taiwan

You can contact AIT office in Taipei or Kaohsiung for emergency assistance via the AIT main telephone number: 02-2162 2000 during and after business hours.

If you are in the United States and you are concerned about a U.S. citizen in Taiwan who has become destitute, you can call the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during EST business hours) or 1-202-647-5225 (after hours EST).