Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Intra-Company Transferees (L-1) and Dependents (L-2)

Intra-Company Transferees(L-1) and Dependents(L-2)

If you are applying for a visa as L-1 intra-company transferee, the U.S. company to which you will be transferred must file an I-129 petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on your behalf. You must show that you have worked abroad for your company continuously for at least one year out of the past three years in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a job requiring specialized knowledge. You must also show that the U.S. company is a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of your company.

Once the petition is approved, you can apply for a visa at the American Institute in Taiwan. The spouse and children aged under 21 of a intra-company transferee may apply together with the principal applicant, or they may apply later if they can present proof of L-1 visa issuance.

Applications for L visas are accepted by appointment only. If you have received your original I-797 notice of approval from the USCIS, you may make a nonimmigrant visa (NIV) interview appointmentat AIT. Approval of a petition does not guarantee visa issuance to an applicant found to be ineligible under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Persons applying for Blanket L-1 visas under Blanket provisions must pay a "fraud prevention and detection fee" of US$500.This fee is non-refundable and can only be paid in US dollars at the American Institute in Taiwan. 

For additional information about L visas, please call 2162-2000 ext 2026 or click here. (The Bureau of Consular Affairs Website)