2008 American Performing Arts Academy
The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), Taiwan Municipal University of Education (TMUE) and American Voices, a non-profit organization based in Houston, Texas, are pleased to announce the first the 2008 American Performing Arts Academy (APAA) will be held in Taipei August 10-23, 2008.
The American Performing Arts Academy in Taiwan has been founded to bring the American educational experience to Taiwan by offering the highest quality dance, piano and musical theater educational opportunities to the Taiwan's young musicians, dancers and singers. The study program is designed to offer educational benefits to participants ranging in age and experience from talented high school students to university and conservatory students, young professionals and public school teachers.
The APAA academy will feature three training programs for musicians, actors and dancers in Taiwan:
- Hip Hop Dance: Aug. 10 - 15 (two levels, beginner and advanced)
- American Piano Academy: Aug. 10 - 15 (intermediate and advanced levels only
- Broadway and Musical Theater: Aug. 16 - 23 (all levels)
Faculty for the APAA include:
- Michael Parks Masterson, Atlanta, Georgia (Hip Hop dance, Musical Theater choreography and staging)
- Carole McCann, Theater Under The Stars Houston, Texas, (Broadway and Musical Theater acting and staging)
- Jacquelyn Culpepper, Davidson College, Charlotte, North Carolina (Singing and stagins)
- Ira Spaulding, New York City, currently teaching at the Amsterdam Conservatory, The Netherlands. (Vocal Ensemble, musical director)
- John Ferguson, Pianist and Executive Director of American Voices (Piano and musical preparation for singers)
The Broadway and Piano Academies are open to participants aged 14 or older, and the Hip Hop Dance program is open to those aged 12 and older. A limited number of scholarships based both on talent and financial need are available to participants.
The APAA will hold two workshops by Michael Parks Masterson with free admissions to all participants on Sunday, March 30 on the TMUE campus -- Hip Hop from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., and Broadway Dance from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
The APAA faculty and program participants will present the results of their workshops in two public concerts on August 15 and 23, 2008 in the Concert Hall of TMUE campus. Both concerts will begin at 7:30 p.m. The concert on August 15th will feature participants in the American Piano Academy, followed by a Hip Hop dance performance. The concerts on August 23 will be devoted to the Broadway and Musical Theater program and will highlight faculty performances as well as excerpts from Rent and Guys and Dolls.
Detailed program information, registration and audition information can be found on APAA's website at http://apaa.tmue.edu.tw. For more information, please contact APAA at Tel: 02-2311-3040 ext. 6131, 6132, or E-mail: APAA2008@gmail.com.