The American Institute in Taiwan is honored to present the internationally-acclaimed American singer Carolyn Malachi in New Taipei City, Taipei, Kaohsiung, and Pingtung from March 12-20, 2015. Carolyn Malachi’s performances in Taiwan are part of the American Music Abroad program, which is co-produced by Jazz at Lincoln Center, the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the American Institute in Taiwan.
In partnership with Cultural Affairs Departments of New Taipei City government, Taipei City government, and Pingtung County government, and in collaboration with National Sun Yat-sen University in Kaohsiung, Carolyn Malachi and her band members will present four public concerts. O-KAI Singers, one of Taiwan’s top a cappella groups, Gold Melody Best New Artist Miss KO, Taiwan’s first ever Thre3style Champion DJ RayRay, and the Children’s Choir of Pingtung’s Sandi Elementary School, will join performances with the acclaimed Grammy-nominated singer.
Other local partners that will facilitate workshops, talks, and outreach as part of the American Music Abroad Taiwan Program include Artist in Residence Taipei, The Wall Live House, Taishin Bank Foundation for Arts and Culture, and Taishin Charity Foundation.
Carolyn Malachi blends Jazz, Hip Hop, Spoken Word and lots of imagination into a style Giant Step calls “delicate, refreshing [and] smooth”. The independent, Grammy-nominated artist counts Yasiin Bey (formerly Mos Def), Radiohead, and Sarah Vaughan among her greatest influences. Malachi promotes music education by supporting GRAMMY U initiatives. She champions global access to education with e-textbook provider Chegg and The School Fund. In 2013, the artist whom MTV calls “one of five R&B artists to obsess over” released a full-length album, GOLD. Between sessions and tour dates, she maintains a tech column in Black Enterprise magazine.
The performance schedule for the American Music Abroad Taiwan 2015 Tour is as follows:
New Taipei City
- Date: Saturday, March 14, 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Venue: New Taipei City Government Multi-purpose Auditorium (4F, 161, Sec.1, Zhongshan Road, New Taipei City)
- Tickets: Free tickets available beginning March 7 at:
- New Taipei City Art Center (No.62, Zhuangjing Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei)
- Xinzhuang Culture Arts Center (133, Zhongping Road, Xinzhuang District, New Taipei)
- Beauty Forever Living Art Center (390, Zhonghe Road, Zhonghe District, New Taipei)
- Get free tickets online: http://www.accupass.com/go/carolynmalachi (100 tickets only)
- Date: Monday, March 16, 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Venue: The Wall Live House Gongguan (B1, No. 200, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei City)
- Tickets: Free tickets available beginning March 9 at the Taipei Cultural Bureau’s information desk (4F, 1, Shifu Road, 110 Taipei City)
- Date: Wednesday, March 18, 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Venue: Sun Yat-Sen Hall, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Kaohsiung (70, Lien-Hai Rd., Kaohsiung City)
- Tickets: Free tickets available beginning March 3 at: the National Sun Yat-Sen University Art Center
- Date: Thursday, March 19, 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Venue: Pingtung County Art Center (427, Ho-ping Rd. Pingtung City)
- Tickets: Free tickets available beginning March 6 at: Pingtung County Art Center (No. 427, Ho-ping Rd. Pingtung City) and Information Counter of the Pingtung County Cultural Affairs Office (69, Da-lien Rd., Pingtung City)
For more information about the American Music Abroad Taiwan program please stay tuned to AIT Facebook Fan Page https://www.facebook.com/#!/AIT.Social.Media
For more information about American Music Aboard, please visit: http://exchanges.state.gov/us/program/american-music-abroad
For more information about the artist, please visit: www.carolynmalachi.com