An official website of the United States government

Immigrant Visa Frequently Asked Questions
April 3, 2022

1. I am petitioning for my alien relative to immigrate to the US, but I don’t live in the US either. Can I file my I-130 petition at AIT?


If you reside outside of the Unites States where USCIS does not have an international office, you will be able to file a Form I-130, with the USCIS Chicago Lockbox facility.

AIT has a limited authorization to accept local filing and can only accept a local only when there are exceptional circumstances (PDF 61 KB) existed, and the USCIS Bangkok filed office determines that AIT may accept and adjudicate the case.

For additional information, please visit the USCIS website.


2. What is the status of my petition?


Unless you have already received an Appointment Notification, AIT has not received your petition from NVC and does not have any further information about your case.  You may contact NVC, mailto: NVCInquiry@state.gov, for further information.


3. Can I reschedule my appointment?


If you would like to have your appointment changed or rescheduled, you will need contact this office via email, mailto: VisaIV-AIT@state.gov, with an explanatory about why you cannot attend your appointment.  There may be a significant wait before the next available appointment, so please attempt to attend the date already assigned.


4. I am not ready to immigrate to the US at this time. Can I postpone my case until my situation changes?


You may contact the IV Unit to postpone or reinstate your case.  From the date of your postponement you will have 12 months in which to contact us to schedule another appointment.  Please contact the IV Unit again if you are unable to schedule your appointment during this time.


5. I received my Appointment Notification, but I am no longer in Taiwan. Can I request an appointment at a different consulate or embassy in another country?


This is sometimes possible, but you must direct your request to the IV Unit, maito: visaiv-ait@state.gov, where you would like to schedule your appointment.  If it is possible for them to accept your request for an appointment, they will contact you and send an official request to AIT for us to transfer your files to them.


6. NVC schedules me a visa interview appointment with AIT-Taipei office. However, I am currently in the United States. Can the medical examination take place in the United States? If not, who can conduct my medical exam? And how long will it take?


Only a physician accredited by the American Institute in Taiwan can perform this exam. Medical examination results from other physicians will not be accepted. In general, it can take up to two weeks for document to complete your medical examination report. As such, you must schedule your medical exam with one of physicians listed below approximately three weeks before your visa interview.

AIT Approved physicians

Taiwan Adventist Hospital                                             
Dr. Hsin Ying Lin, Dr. Chia-Lin Lo, and
Dr. Chi-Hsung Huang

Walk-in registration only.
#424, Pa Teh Road, Sec. 2, Taipei 105
Telephone: (02) 2781-3394, (02) 2740-0729

Department of Health Executive Yuan                              
Feng Yuan Hospital
Dr. Fu Chun Lee, Dr. Ching Jen Chang, and
Dr. Yu Chieh Tsai

Please call for an appointment.
No.100, An-Kan Road, Feng Yuan District,
Taichung City 420
Telephone: (04) 2527-1180 ext. 3232/3233



7. What does Domicile mean?


US immigration regulations require that the US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) who filed a petition for a family member to immigrate to the US must either reside in the US or be able to prove they intend to return to a residence in the US (either before their family member enters the US, or at the same time).  If the US citizen or LPR petitioner is not residing in the US when the family member comes to AIT for their immigrant visa interview, the petitioner will be ineligible to submit the required I-864 or I-134 affidavits of support, a joint sponsor will not be accepted, and the family member’s immigrant visa will not be issued.

For detail information, please visit the DOS’s website.


8. After I am issued my immigrant visa, how long can I wait before travelling to the US?


The validity of your immigrant visa will be the same as the validity of your medical examination certificate.  For most people this is six months after the date of the examination, but the validity may be shorter if you have some medical conditions. You must apply for entry at a US port of entry before the expiration of your visa.


9. Our family was issued immigrant visas to the US. We received our visa packets and are ready to travel. If we applied together as a family, does this mean we have to travel together to the US? Can I go first, and then the rest of my family goes separately?


The Principal Applicant in your family must travel first or together with the rest of your family.  If you are not the Principal Applicant, you may either travel at the same time or follow later, but you may not arrive earlier.


10. I have been issued an immigrant visa but will not be able to travel to the US before the visa expires. Can I still use my visa to immigrate to the US? What should I do?


You cannot use an expired visa to travel to the US, although it may be possible for you to apply for a new visa.  You should return your immigrant visa package and passport to AIT, giving us a statement why you have been unable to use the visa.  We will be able to cancel the visa we originally issued in your passport.

If you wish to immigrate to the US at a later time, you will have to reapply and pay a new application fee.   Your petition will still be valid.


11. I am a US legal permanent resident, and I just had a new baby. Is my son/daughter automatically an LPR or a US citizen?


If your child was born in the US, then he/she is a US citizen.  You may use the child’s birth certificate to apply for a US passport at any US passport office.If your child was not born in the US, then he/she may automatically become a legal permanent resident under the following conditions and does not require a visa to return to the US:
a)  The mother is a US legal permanent resident;
b)  The child enters the US within two years of birth;
c)  Either accompanying parent is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child.If the above conditions do not apply, the US legal permanent resident parent(s) may petition for their child to immigrate to the US by submitting an I-130 petition to USCIS.


12. After entering US with the approved immigrant visa, can I return to Taiwan for a short period of time? I heard that I need to apply for a Re-entry permit in order to do so. Is this true? If so, how do I apply and how long does it take to be approved. If not, what is the proper course of action?


A permanent resident (green card holder) can travel freely outside of the United States for short periods.  To reenter the US, a permanent resident normally needs to present his or her green card for readmission. A reentry permit is only needed for trips that last longer than 1 year but less than 2 years.

A re-entry permit allows a permanent resident or conditional resident to apply for admission to the US upon returning from abroad during the permit’s validity, without having to obtain a returning resident visa from a US Embassy or consulate.

A permanent resident alien who intends to remain abroad for more than a year should, at least 30 days prior to the proposed date of departure, apply while in the United States to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The permit is valid for two years and may not be extended.  If such a permit is obtained the alien may use this card to reenter the United States within the period of validity. Every alien applying for readmission must satisfy the immigration authorities that he or she is eligible in all respects for admission.