An official website of the United States government

Lost/Stolen/Destroyed Green Cards

According to the guidance issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, a boarding foil is not required if the lawful permanent resident (LPR) has an expired 10-year Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a green card, or an expired 2-year green card with valid Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended.  To enter the U.S., a LPR may present at least one of the following items in place of a boarding foil:

  1. An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date; or
  2. An expired Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended; or
  3. Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business; or
  4. A valid Reentry Permit.

Please consult your air carrier prior to completion of an I-131A form and payment of the fee.

You may review the CBP Carrier Information Guide for information about required documents for entry to the U.S.   If you have remained outside of the United States for less than one year, and your green card was left in the United States, a person in the United States may send it to you through commercial express international mail.

If you do not possess a valid Form I-551 (“green card”) because it has been lost or stolen, or destroyed, and you are returning to the U.S. within 12 months of your last departure from the United States, you may apply at AIT-Taipei for a boarding foil to serve as evidence of your lawful permanent resident status. To apply, you must pay the filing fee online through the USCIS website before you schedule your interview through portal.ustraveldocs.com/?language=English&country=Taiwan If you have any problems scheduling the appointment online, please email support-taiwan@ustraveldocs.com.

At the time of interview, you must bring:

  1. Your passports with one copy of all pages with entry/exit stamps.
  2. A completed Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation).
  3. Evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page.  Please be aware that USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.
  4. One copy of round trip airline itinerary with boarding passes, showing the date you left the U.S. and the date of your confirmed reservation to return.
  5. A copy of any police report for lost/stolen green cards.  This record can be obtained from any local police station.
  6. One passport-style color photograph measuring 2 inches by 2 inches (5 cm by 5 cm)

Once your application has been accepted, processing takes 4-5 business days.  If your application is approved, your passport with boarding foil will be delivered to you.  The boarding foil will be valid for a maximum of 30 days, single entry, unless other exigent circumstances exist. Please note the validity period of the boarding foil may be shorter than 30 days, depending on how long you have been outside the United States.