An official website of the United States government

Minor Passports 5-Year Passport

The child and both parents must appear in person through a pre-arranged appointment

Parents are permitted to submit their adult passport renewal in person if accompanied by a minor’s passport application


The following items are required:

Requirements checklist (PDF 243 KB) for passport renewal for applicants under the age of 16.

  • Form DS-11(Online Form Filler): Please bring this completed, unsigned form to your appointment. The Consular Officer will ask you to sign this form during your appointment.
  • A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications.  Your child must have his/her SSN ready when completing the form.
    • If your child does not have his/her SSN on hand or you do not recall the number, click here to learn more about obtaining your SSN.
    • If your child has never applied for an SSN, you still need to contact the Social Security Administration Office in Manila to obtain a confirmation email that an SSN was never issued to your child. Please do not schedule an appointment for passport application until you have contacted the Social Security Administration in Manila to confirm whether or not you have an SSN.
  • Child’s most recent U.S. passport:  Original and 1 photocopy of the page with the photo and signature.
  • Child’s U.S. issued birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad:  Original and 1 photocopy.
  • Childs’ second photo ID: Original and 1 photocopy.  Required if the child’s passport has expired for more than 5 years or if the child’s appearance has changed dramatically from the time the passport photo was taken. The ID (eg. a foreign passport) must have a validity, a photo and the name shown must be the same as in the child’s U.S. passport.
  • Valid photo ID for both parents:  (e.g. passport or U.S. driver’s license) with name in English that matches the names on the child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad: original and 1 photocopy.
  • NOTE:  You may be asked to make photocopies of your documents if you do not bring the copies.
  • One photograph (2 x 2 inch / 5 x 5 cm):  Click here for more information on passport photo requirements.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
  • Application fee:  Click here for the schedule of fees.  This fee is non-refundable and may be paid by credit card or in cash using U.S. dollars or NTD equivalent.  AIT strongly advises you to bring cash, as our system does not always accommodate credit card transactions. Please note: we no longer accept the old version of U.S. dollar bills. (PDF 22MB)
  • Growing photos:  One photo for each year.  If your child’s appearance has changed significantly since his/her last passport was issued, please provide a series of family photos that show your child’s age progression (one photo for each year).  Growing photos are optional.  They are only required if your child’s appearance has changed significantly.  For example, from baby to 5 years old.
  • If only one parent can attend: Both parents must be present at the appointment.  If one parent is unable to appear in person, the parent who appears must bring a signed, notarized consent Form DS-3053 (PDF 51.52 KB) from the absent parent, and a clear photocopy of the ID presented to the notary (notarized within 3 months). Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:
    • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
    • Adoption decree (if applying parent is the sole adopting parent);
    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order);
    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent.
    • The original court order or Taiwan Household Registration in English (issued within 3 months) granting custody of the child to the applying parent.
    • If one parent is deceased, the applying parent must bring the original or certified copy of the death certificate in English.  If both parents are deceased, the guardian must provide both death certificates and proof of guardianship.
  • Whereabouts unknown:  The applying parent must bring a written statement Form DS-5525 (PDF 47.33 KB) in English noting the date of last contact with the absent parent, efforts made to locate the parent, and any other relevant information.  A Consular Officer will make a determination on a case-by-case basis.  In some cases, more evidence may be requested during your appointment.
  • The processing time is 6 weeks. Your new and previous passport will be returned to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.
  • Your previous passport will be cancelled and returned to you during your appointment. AIT will not cancel valid visas remaining in the old passport.
  • If the parent(s) has/ have changed their names, please bring the legal documents of name change listing both previous and current names:
    Original Taiwan Household Registration in English, or
    Original or certified true copy of the court order, or
    Original or certified true copy of the Marriage Certificate.
     All forms, certificates, documents, and signatures must have the same name listed, or a legal name change document must be presented.
  • Non English documents. It is usually possible in Taiwan to request English-language versions of common documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, and household registration records. Please request these. All documents in any other language must be professionally translated. The translation cannot be performed by your family member or friend; it must be performed by someone with a professional translation certification. In addition, if a Chinese document is complex or longer than one page, such as a court order or a long affidavit, or if the original language is not Chinese, the translation should then be notarized before you bring it to AIT.
  • Schedule an appointment.  Please click on the link.
  • Expedite passport service is not available overseas.