Before Your Appointment
You are required to prepare the following for your application:
- Form DS-11(Online Form Filler): Please print this completed, unsigned form to your appointment. The Consular Officer will ask you to sign this form during your appointment.
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship: Such as Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.
- Valid government issued photo ID: Such as a valid foreign passport, driver’s license, or military ID.
- A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number or cannot recall if you have one, please click HERE.
- One passport photo (2 x 2 inch or 5 x 5 cm): The passport photo size is 2X2 inch or 5X5 cm (same as photo for U.S. visa). No eyeglasses. Click HERE for more information on passport photo requirements. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
- Written statement in English: Explain the reasons for not having applied for a U.S. passport before leaving the U.S.
Schedule Your Appointment at AIT
Please click HERE to schedule an appointment online. Please note that all U.S. citizen services provided by AIT are by appointment only.
On the Day of Your Appointment
- Click HERE to learn about AIT’s Security Notice.
- Please follow AIT staff’s instruction during your appointment.
- Non-Refundable Application Fee:
- Passport Book: US$165; Passport Card: US$30.
- At AIT Taipei and Kaohsiung, fees may be paid in either US or NT dollars cash or by credit card. All credit card transactions are in U.S. Dollars. All U.S. dollar banknotes must be clean. We cannot accept ripped, worn, or damaged banknotes. We do not accept personal checks.
- Your new passport will be delivered to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.
- If you have changed your names, please bring the legal documents of name change listing both previous and current names:
- Original Taiwan Household Registration in English (issued within three months), or
- Original or certified true copy of the court order, or
- Original or certified true copy of the Marriage Certificate.
- Change of Gender Marker
- Passport applicants are able to self-certify their gender, and parents are able to self-certify the gender of their children. At this time, applicants can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified/another gender identity (X) as your gender marker when applying for a U.S. regular passport book.
- The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID. We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.