The American Institute in Taiwan is honored to present the New York based four-man Hip Hop music group Soul Inscribed in Taipei, Taoyuan and Tainan from March 3-9, 2016. Soul Inscribed’s visit to Taiwan is part of the 2016 American Music Abroad program, which is co-produced by American Voices, the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the American Institute in Taiwan.
In partnership with Cultural Affairs Departments of the Taipei City Government, the Taoyuan City Government, and the Tainan City Government, four talented Soul Inscribed members will present three free public concerts. Taiwan performers including Barry Chen the rapper, and the Leo37+SOSS band, and dancing groups Jump and DOD, will join Soul Inscribed on stage for solo shows and jam sessions.
Other local partners that will facilitate workshops, talks, and outreach events as part of the American Music Abroad Taiwan Program include Artist in Residence Taipei, the Arts Facilities Management Center of Taoyuan, and the National Tainan University. In addition to the public concerts, Soul Inscribed will also do a pop-up show in Ximending to share with Taiwan a taste of American authentic hip hop/street performance.
The performance schedule for the American Music Abroad Taiwan 2016 Tour is as follows:
Ximending Pop-up Show (Free Event)
- Date: Friday, March 4, 2016, 6:30 PM – 7:00 PM
- Venue: Taipei Ximending (Intersection of Hanzhong Street and Wuchang Street)
- Date: Saturday, March 5, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Venue: Outdoor Stage, Daan Forest Park
- Tickets: Free admission, no tickets required
- Date: Sunday, March 6, 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Venue: Taoyuan Performing Arts Center (No. 1188, Zhongzheng Rd, Taoyuan City)
- Tickets: Free tickets available beginning February 25 from 9:00 AM at the following 3 venues. Tickets are limited.
- 1. Taoyuan County Performing Arts Center Information counter (No. 1188, Zhongzheng Road, Taoyuan City)
- 2. Zhongli Arts Hall Information Counter (No. 16, Zhongmei Road, Zhongli District, Taoyuan City)
- 3. Cultural Affairs Bureau Taoyuan City Government Information Counter (No. 21 Hsianfu Road, Taoyuan City)
- Date: Tuesday, March 8, 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Venue: Tainan Municipal Cultural Center (No.332, Sec. 3, Jhonghua E. Rd., East District, Tainan City)
- Tickets: Free tickets available beginning February 22 from 9:00 AM at Tainan Municipal Cultural Center Information Counter. Each person can get up to four tickets. Children under 6 are not permitted to enter. Tickets are limited.
The New York-based four-piece band Soul Inscribed mixes up a heady brew of Hip Hop poetics and sultry R&B/Soul vocals, propelled by a sonic blend of Jazz, Funk and Dub instrumental. Featuring MC/producer Baba Israel, vocalist Duv, saxophonist/flutist Sean Nowell and multi-instrumentalist/producer Yako 440 on guitar and bass (which he often plays simultaneously on stage), Soul Inscribed flows seamlessly between crafted songs and improvisation grounded in the traditions of Jazz and Hip Hop. All four members are also human beatboxers who weave dynamic vocal percussion into their shows.
American Music Abroad is a people-to-people cultural exchange program designed to communicate America’s rich musical contributions and diverse culture to the global music scene. In 2016, Soul Inscribed has been selected to participate in the State Department’s “American Music Abroad” program touring to Russia, Indonesia, Taiwan, and Mauritius as cultural ambassadors.
For more information about the American Music Abroad Taiwan program please stay tuned to AIT Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/#!/AIT.Social.Media
For more information about the artists, please visit:
- Official website http://www.soulinscribed.com/ or
- Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/soulinscribed/?ref=ts&fref=ts