An official website of the United States government

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

1. How do I get the status of my application?
Please use the “Online Passport Status System” to track your application.

2. How long does it take to get a passport?
Please plan on about a month to receive your passport.

3. When my old passport is canceled, are the valid visas in the old passport canceled as well?
Most countries will accept a valid visa from a previous passport as long as you carry both passports with you.  You may want to check with that country before traveling there.

4. I am a U.S. citizen.  Am I required to use U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States?
All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a U.S. passport.

5. I want to visit Taiwan and other countries.  How do I find out the entry requirements?
For entry requirements into Taiwan and other countries, please visit state.gov.

Adult 10-Year Passport Renewals

1. I am an adult passport applicant.  Can I renew my passport in person?
As an adult renewal applicant, you are required to renew by mail.  We will turn you away if you appear in person and qualify for mail-in renewal.

2. Is expedite passport service available overseas?
If you need your passport faster, please write the word “urgent” on the envelope of your DS-82 application package. You must also include your travel dates on page 2 of the DS-82 form, in section 20 “Travel Plans.”

3. I am renewing my passport.  Do I get the old one back?
Yes.  We will return the old, canceled passport to you along with your new one.

4. I am traveling very soon.  How do I get my passport quickly?
Please write the word “urgent” on the envelope with your application package. You must also include your travel dates on page 2 of the DS-82 form, in section 20 “Travel Plans,” or include a copy of your travel itinerary.

5. Can I keep my old passport while the new one is in process?
If you wish to hold on to your old passport while renewing your passport, please complete two copies of the courier delivery form and include both forms in your application package.  We will use one form to send the old passport to you first. When the new passport arrives, we will ask you to send us your old passport.  We will cancel the old passport and send you the old one and the new one together.

6. I have scheduled an appointment to renew my child’s passport.  Can I submit my own application for passport renewal at the same time?
Yes.  You may submit your adult passport renewal in person at the same time as the appointment for your child’s passport.