An official website of the United States government

Renounce U.S. Citizenship


Renouncing your U.S. citizenship is a serious and an irrevocable act.  U.S. Citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. citizenship should carefully review the ramifications of doing so.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. If you decide to renounce your U.S. citizenship, there are several steps you need to take, including arranging appointment to sign the Statement of Understanding, and the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a consular officer.


Renunciation Process

  1. Consultation with a Consular Officer
    While it is not required to do so, individuals who would like to discuss renouncing their U.S. citizenship with a consular officer may request a consultation.  We offer consultations by appointment.  Please schedule an appointment online only if you would like a consultation.
  2. Review the following legal considerations of renouncing your U.S. citizenship:
  3. Make a decision.  If you decide you do not want to renounce your citizenship, no further action is required.

If you decide to proceed, continue with the following steps:

  1. Complete the forms:  Loss of Nationality Questionnaire (PDF 663KB), and Forms DS-4080 (PDF 28KB) and DS-4081 (PDF 14KB), and prepare the required documents (see Document Checklist).  The forms are non-binding and are used to gather information for the formal application.  You will sign the final application documents in front of a consular officer during your in-person interview.
  2. Return the completed the Questionnaire, Forms DS-4080 and DS-4081, and copies of the required evidence of citizenship documents via email.
    • If you would like to have the interview at AIT Taipei, please send the email to TaipeiCLN@state.gov.
    • If you would like to have the interview at AIT Kaohsiung, please send the email to KaohsiungACS@state.gov.
  3. Allow 7-10 business days for us to review your documents.
  4. We will contact you to schedule an in-person appointment with consular officer.
  5. At your appointment, you will pay the USD 2,350 application fee, take the Oath of Renunciation, and sign the forms DS-4080 and DS-4081 in the presence of a consular officer.
  6. After your interview, your renunciation application will be sent to the U.S. Department of State for a final decision, a process that may take four to six months.  U.S. citizenship documents will be retained until the Loss of Nationality is adjudicated by the Department of State.
  7. Once the U.S. Department of State makes a final decision on your application, you will be notified by email and the necessary written documentation will be provided to you.


Document Checklist

Your application package should include the following documents:

  1. Complete the forms: Loss of Nationality Questionnaire, DS-4080 and DS-4081.
  2. Your last issued U.S. passport.
  3. Your U.S. citizenship document (Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad).
  4. Your valid foreign passport.
  5. Your U.S. birth certificate (if applicable).
  6. Written explanation of your reasons for renouncing (if applicable).
  7. Evidence of name change (if applicable).


Frequently Asked Questions

How long does the renunciation process take?

After your renunciation appointment where you sign the oath of renunciation in front of a consular officer, your application will be sent to the U.S. Department of State for final approval.  This process can take three to six months.  We do not have the ability to expedite your renunciation application.

Can I travel to the U.S. while my renunciation application is pending final approval from the U.S. Department of State?

During the time between your renunciation appointment where you sign the oath of renunciation in front of a consular officer and the time when the U.S. Department of State approves your application, you are technically still a U.S. citizen.  Therefore, if you decide to travel to the U.S. with your foreign passport during this period, you are in violation of U.S. law, which requires U.S. citizens to travel to the United States using a U.S. passport.

Can I travel to the U.S. after my renunciation is approved?

After your renunciation is approved, you are no longer a U.S. citizen.  You will need proper documentation to visit, live, work, or study in the United States.  For example, if you are travelling for tourism purposes, you will need approval via Visa Waiver Program and have an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or a valid non-immigrant visa.

Why do I need to provide my foreign passport(s)?

We ask for your foreign passports because unless you possess another foreign nationality, you may be stateless after you renounce your U.S. citizenship.  This means you would lack the protection of any government and you may not be entitled to a passport from any country, making it difficult for you to travel.  We want to ensure that you understand the ramifications of becoming stateless.

Can my parents renounce on my behalf?

No, parents cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of their children.