An official website of the United States government

Required Documents

All birth, adoption, marriage, death or divorce certificates must bear a date, the original seal, stamp or signature of the Official Custodian of the document. Notarized copies, church records and uncertified photocopies are not official documents and may be invalid as primary evidence. All documents must be originals and translated into English. We will return the original documents to you the same day.

It is usually possible in Taiwan to request English-language versions of common documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, and household registration records.  Please request these.  All documents in any other language must be professionally translated.  The translation cannot be performed by your family member or friend; it must be performed by someone with a professional translation certification.  In addition, if a Chinese document is complex or longer than one page, such as a court order or a long affidavit, or if the original language is not Chinese, the translation should then be notarized before you bring it to AIT.

All forms, certificates, documents, and signatures must have the same name listed, or a legal name change document must be presented.

You are required to present the forms together with the following documents in English:


Taiwan Household Registration Transcript (HRT) 英文版台灣戶籍謄本

Important!  The English names listed in the HRT should be the names entered on the Form DS-2029, and those names will be used in your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Original HRT of your child in English is required if one or both parents has/have a valid or cancelled Taiwan household registration.  The HRT will serve as the proof of the child’s birth and the evidence of relationship between parents and the child.

The original English HRT must meet the following requirements:

  1. It bears the date of issuance, document number, and the official seal of the Household Registration Office;
  2. It lists the full history of your household events (complete version of notes); and
  3. It is written in the English language.
  4. Please bring one original.

Please Note: (Names to be used)

  1. The names of the child and the parent(s) on the HRT must be the same as the names written in the Form DS-2029 and on the valid photo IDs presented.
  2. All the names listed on the HRT should appear as follow:
    • Given name followed by middle name and last name
      (for example, Jane Mei-Yun DOE); OR
    • Last name, given name followed by middle name
      (for example, DOE, Jane Mei-Yun) (Note the comma after the last name).
  3. The child’s name in English listed in the HRT is the name to be used in your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport.
  4. Non-U.S. citizen parent:  the English name listed on your child’s HRT must be your full name in your passport.
  5. U.S. citizen parent(s): the English name listed in your child’s HRT must be your full name in your U.S. passport (for example, name in U.S. passport: Jane Mei-Yun DOE / Name in HRT: Jane Mei-Yun DOE).


Marriage certificate

Original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. All documents not in English must be translated.  If the parents are not married, this is not required.

Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the document.


Proof of termination of prior marriages

If either parent has been married previously, they should present the Divorce Decree or Death Certificate for all previous marriages.

Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the document.

Please note: Divorce Agreement is not acceptable.


Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship

Please bring one of the evidence listed below:

  • Valid or expired U.S. passport(s) issued prior to the birth of your child: original and one photocopy of the page with your photo and signature
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate Citizenship: original
  • U.S. issued official birth certificate: original and one photocopy

The issue date of the evidence submitted must be prior to the birth of your child.


Evidence of identification of both parents

U.S. citizen parent: valid U.S. passport

Non-U.S. citizen parent: passport of any nationality

Regardless of the passport nationality submitted, the full name shown in your passport must be the same full name listed on your child’s birth certificate.

Please bring the original and two photocopies.  Please photocopy the page with your photo and signature.


Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s)

First, please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances.

Next, please see Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. Citizen Parent(s) for further information.

Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the document(s).


Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent

The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport.

Please bring the original and 2 photocopies of the biographic page of the document (page with your photo and signature).


Passport photograph for the child

One passport sized (2 × 2 inch / 5 x 5 cm) photograph – see photo requirements for specific information.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.