Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


Congratulations on your child’s birth!  Your new baby needs a first passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad. On this page we’ll tell you what you need to do to get all two items.

A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents is eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

The CRBA application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we strongly recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

A CRBA is not a travel document  We recommended that you submit an application for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time.  All two applications may be submitted together at your scheduled appointment.  Even if your child holds another nationality, he or she must enter and exit the United States on a U.S. passport.