Please note: Individuals coming to AIT for consular services are now required to bring and wear protective masks. You will not be allowed entry without a mask
If you are subject to quarantine because of recent travel from certain countries listed in here, you will not be allowed entry to AIT. Please reschedule your consular appointment. Please also reschedule your appointment if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms or believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19.
NOTICE ABOUT APPOINTMENTS AND SECURITY PROCEDURES AT A.I.T.
All services at AIT Taipei and AIT Kaohsiung are by appointment only. Please note that the American Institute in Taiwan is a U.S. government facility with strict security procedures about who may enter and what they may bring with them.
We request that you follow this link to obtain complete information on making an appointment with us, cancelling an appointment you no longer need, and adhering to AIT’s security regulations during your visit.
You should arrive at AIT no more than five (5) minutes before your scheduled appointment to pass through security. Because our waiting area is limited, we cannot accommodate inside people whose appointment times have not arrived.
Please note: You will be directed to “appointment details” when you have successfully scheduled an appointment. You will not receive any confirmation email from the system and AIT does NOT have the resources to confirm appointments. We look forward to serving you at your scheduled appointment.
Passport Validity – We recommend that you renew your passport at least 6 months before it expires. Many countries in the region do not allow you to enter unless your passport is valid for more than 6 months. Country Specific Information on Entry/Exit Requirements for U.S. Citizens is available on travel.state.gov.
Expedite Service is not Available Overseas – The processing time is approximately three weeks. We cannot expedite full-validity passports as this is the minimum time required to transmit the application to the U.S., produce the passport, and send it back to us by express mail.
Application Status – The status of your application should be available online 7-10 days after the application is complete. To check the status, please click here.
First Passport for Your Baby – If you are applying for a US passport for the first time for a baby or child born outside the US, follow the instructions for reporting “Birth of a U.S. Citizen Abroad”.
Apply for a Passport
- Adult Passports -10-year Passports
- Minor Passports – 5-Year Passport
- Apply My First 10 year Passport – I am 16 years old and above
- My passport has expired more than five years
- Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport
- Apply for My First U.S. Passport – I just obtained my U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship
Exchange Limited Validity Passport for Full Validity
- We strongly advise all customers to bring cash, as our system does not always accommodate credit card transactions.
- Cosmetic contact lenses that make the iris appear larger or smaller are not acceptable in passport photos.
- The passport execution fee increased from USD 25 to USD 35.
- Eye glasses are not allowed in passport photos.
- A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications. Click here to learn more about obtaining your SSN.
- The Department of State no longer offers the option of adding visa pages to U.S. passports. If you need more pages, you are required to renew your passport.
Social Security Number for Passport Applicants
Effective October 1, 2016, a Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications. It is NOT enough to simply write 000-00-0000 because you do not know it or because you are certain that you do not have one. This new regulation requires you to contact SSA Manila and ask them to send us an official report, either telling us what your number is or confirming that you do not have one.
If you have one, we will happily share it with you for your records, but this must happen in person once you have showed a photo ID. If you do not have one, we can explain to you how to apply for one once you have received your new passport.
Click here to learn more about obtaining your SSN.