- Renewing Passport by Mail
- Renewing Passport in Person
You may renew your passport by mail if you meet all of the following requirements:
Your most recent 10-year U.S. passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Has not expired or expired less than five (5) years ago;
- Was issued in your current name.
Please use the checklist (PDF 267KB) to prepare your application package. Your package should include the following items:
- Form DS-82 (Online Form Filler and PDF 88.57KB): Please complete, print and sign on the form including Taiwan contact telephone number and Taiwan mailing address. Please complete the form in English including the following information:
- Primary contact phone number (section 7): your Taiwan phone number
- Mailing address (section 8): your address in Taiwan
- List all other names you have used (section 9): for example, the ones you used before your naturalization to become a U.S. citizen.
- Permanent address (section 18): either your address in Taiwan or in the U.S.
- Emergency contact (section 19): the person can be residing in Taiwan or in the U.S.
- Please sign and date the form
- A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications. You must have your SSN ready when completing the form. If you do not have your SSN on hand or do not recall the number, click here to learn more about obtaining your SSN. If you have never applied for an SSN, you still need to contact the Social Security Administration Office in Manila to obtain a confirmation email that an SSN was never issued to you. Please do not schedule an appointment for passport renewal until you have contacted the Social Security Administration in Manila to confirm whether or not you have an SSN.
- Your most recent 10-year U.S. passport: Original & 1 photocopy of the page with photo & signature.
- One photograph (2 x 2 inch): Click here for photo requirements. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
- The non-refundable USD 110 application fee. Paid in USD money order (cashier’s check, bank draft) issued by a local bank in Taiwan. Your money order must be issued within the past five (5) months and payable to American Institute in Taiwan. We do NOT accept personal checks.
- Passport card: Click here for fee schedule. If you wish to renew or apply for a passport card in addition to your passport renewal, please add the appropriate fee (USD 30.00) for the card to the total amount. The total amount should be USD 140 (passport and passport card). Applying for a passport card is optional.
- Your most recent U.S. Passport card: only if you are renewing for a new Passport Card.
- Change place of birth. If your current passport lists your place of birth as “China” and you wish to change it to “Taiwan” on your application form, you must send us your unexpired Taiwan passport and 1 photocopy. The original will be courier back to you with your new passport. If you wish to retain “China” on your passport, you must write “China” on the place of birth section of your application form.
- If you changed your name, please refer to “Change Name on U.S. Passport” and submit the required documents.
- U.S. Passport Delivery Form. Please complete and print the form. Your new passport will be delivered to you by courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.
- Mail your complete application to the American Citizen Services Unit at the following address via registered mail:
American Institute in Taiwan
American Citizen Services Unit
Passport-by Mail Service
No.100, Jinhu Road,
Neihu District, Taipei 11461
- The processing time for passport is 3 – 4 weeks. Your new and previous passport will be returned to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.
- The processing time for passport card is 6 – 8 weeks.
- AIT will not cancel valid visas remaining in your previous passport.
If you do not meet all these requirements, please renew your passport in person.