- Renewing Passport by Mail
- Renewing Passport in Person
Please use the document checklist (PDF 264 KB) to prepare your application package.
You are required to submit the following:
- Form DS-82 (PDF88.57KB): Please complete, print and sign on the form.
- Mailing address (section 8): your address in Taiwan
- List all other names you have used (section 9): for example, the ones you used before your naturalization to become a U.S. citizen.
- Permanent address (section 18): either your address in Taiwan or in the U.S.
- Emergency contact (section 19): the person can be residing in Taiwan or in the U.S.
- A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for all passport applications. You must have your SSN ready when completing the form. If you do not have your SSN on hand or do not recall the number, click here to learn more about obtaining your SSN.If you have never applied for an SSN, you still need to contact the Social Security Administration Office in Manila to obtain a confirmation email that an SSN was never issued to you.Please do not schedule an appointment for passport renewal until you have contacted the Social Security Administration in Manila to confirm whether or not you have an SSN.
- Your most recent 10-year U.S. passport: Original and 1 photocopy of the page with photo & signature. You may be asked to make a photocopy of your passport if you do not bring one.
- One photograph (2 x 2 inch): Click here for photo requirements. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
- The non-refundable USD 110 application fee. This fee may be paid by credit card or cash in U.S. dollars or the NTD equivalent. AIT strongly advises you to bring cash, as our system does not always accommodate credit card transactions.
- Change place of birth. If your current passport lists your place of birth as “China” and you wish to change it to “Taiwan” on your application form, you must provide your unexpired Taiwan passport and 1 photocopy.
- The processing time is 3 – 4 weeks. Your new and previous passport will be returned to you via courier for a fee of NT$190, pay on delivery.
- AIT will not cancel valid visas remaining in the previous passport.
- Schedule an appointment online.