The Child is Under 16 – Only One Parent Can Attend

Both parents are required to be present at the appointment.  However, we recognize that it may not be possible in all cases.

If one custodial parent is not able to attend, he/she must submit a notarized form DS-3053 Statement of Consent signed by the absent parent.  At the time the DS-3053 form is submitted for your child’s passport application, a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must also be provided.

Alternatively, the applying parent may provide one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is the sole adopting parent);
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order);
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.