An official website of the United States government

Visa Waiver Program
April 1, 2022

On October 2, 2012 the United States announced Taiwan’s designation for participation in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Under the VWP, eligible Taiwan passport holders are able to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa, if certain requirements are met.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables eligible travelers from 39 participating countries* to travel to the United States for business or tourism (for visitor [B] visa purposes of travel, click here for more details) for 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. This period cannot be extended, nor can a VWP traveler change status, for example to a student visa, while in the United States. Travelers eligible for the VWP may apply for a visa, if they prefer to do so. In order to travel under the VWP, travelers must first receive travel authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) (if travel by air or sea), and must meet all eligibility requirements in advance of travel.

The U.S. government’s fee for an ESTA approved application is $14. Third party websites that provide information about ESTA and submit ESTA applications for VWP travelers are not endorsed by, associated with, or affiliated in any way with the U.S. government. If the website does not contain “.gov,” it is not the official ESTA website. To visit the official ESTA website, please click here.

On February 23, 2016, the United States announced additional changes under the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015, including an updated ESTA application form. The new law does not ban travel to the United States, or admission into the United States, and the great majority of VWP travelers will not be affected by the legislation. For more information on changes to the Visa Waiver Program, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website here.

Please note, the ESTA application process is managed by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), therefore any questions or concerns regarding your application status must be directed to DHS.