Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

  1. Lost/Stolen/Destroyed Green Cards
  2. Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), please download and print the attached form and follow the instructions below. There is no fee for this service.


You will need to complete the Form I-407, “Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status” (PDF, 866KB).

To ensure your application is not rejected, please read carefully and follow the Form I-407 Instructions (PDF, 190KB).

You will need to complete Form I-407 in English, and be sure to provide your alien registration number (“A-number”). If you previously filed a benefit request using the USCIS Electronic Immigration System (ELIS), please provide the USCIS account number, if possible.

Filing I-407 by Mail (Recommended method)

There is no USCIS Office in Taiwan. If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and relinquish your I-551 Permanent Resident Card (“Green card”), you are encouraged to file Form I-407 by mail directly to the Bangkok USCIS International Office:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
American Embassy Box 12
120-122 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330 Thailand

In your mailed packet, you must include:

  • Completed, signed Form I-407.
  • Your form I-551 (“Green card”), if available.  If not available, the appropriate box in Part 1, item 11.b should be checked.
  • All other issued USCIS booklets and cards, if applicable.

Please note that any submissions containing an unsigned Form I-407 or unsigned statement of abandonment will be rejected and returned unprocessed by USCIS. AIT cannot assist you with mailed applications. For any inquiries regarding mailed applications, please contact the Bangkok USCIS International Office.

Filing I-407 in Person

There is no USCIS office in Taiwan. If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and relinquish your I-551, you may also file in-person with the nearest USCIS International Field office or before a DHS official in conjunction with an application for admission or, in very limited circumstances, AIT.

AIT can only accept form I-407 in exceptional circumstances, such as when an A or G applicant must surrender their LPR status to receive their nonimmigrant visa.  AIT no longer makes appointment slots available for this service.

What Happens Next

Once the I-407 is completed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-immigrant.  If you intend to visit the U.S., you may apply for a non-immigrant visa or to apply for ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program.  For more information on ESTA, please refer to the Visa Waiver Program.

You should keep a copy of the completed I-407 in your passport whenever you apply for a visa or travel to the United States.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States again in the future. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

For more information on Permanent Residence in the United States, see U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services or U.S. Customs and Board Protection.

Minor Child Abandonments Require Parental Consent

If seeking to file a green card abandonment on behalf of a child who is age 17 or younger, each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form. The minor does not need to be present if filing in person, but an unredacted Household Registration Record in English must be provided to show sole or joint legal custody by the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).