AIT Celebrates 2020 International Education Week
November 16th-20th, 2020
The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) will celebrate International Education Week (IEW) from November 16 to 20, 2020. IEW is an initiative of the U.S. Departments of State and Education that promotes the benefits of international education and exchange programs worldwide. During IEW, AIT will host and participate in many education-related events. AIT’s social media platforms will also have special IEW content.
Taiwan is one of the top sources of international students in the United States, and AIT looks forward to continuing to help prospective Taiwan students through our EducationUSA program. EducationUSA provides accurate and comprehensive information on studying in the United States to Taiwan students at no cost. The Taiwan EducationUSA Advising Centers are located at AIT https://www.ait.org.tw/education-culture/american-spaces/american-center/ and the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange https://www.educationusa.tw/.
2020 AIT International Education Week Events
- Study USA Workshop: S government officials and EducationUSA staff will offer updates on current trends in international student mobility and the U.S. Department of State’s continued commitment to promoting the U.S. higher education sector. Registration is free and will provide virtual access to the EducationUSA global network. Students currently studying in U.S. will also talk about the realities to higher education and high school experts. Around 50 school advisors are expected to attend the workshop on November 18th.
- “I am Chill in the U.S.A” Student Profile Series: COVID-19 has certainly impacted all aspects of our society, including education. This five-video series will feature a number of Taiwan undergrad and graduate students currently living and studying in New York, California, Massachusetts, and Illinois. Please visit AIT’s Facebook page, YouTube, and Instagram channels for their stories:
- International Education Advising and Outreach: During IEW, AIT officers and EducationUSA advisers will travel island-wide to discuss international education with Taiwan students. The EducationUSA Advising Center will also host six public events for Taiwan students on U.S. higher education. Advance registration is required for some activities. Please register using the EducationUSA website: https://www.educationusa.tw/dispPageBox/CtUstudy.aspx?ddsPageID=USTUDYABA&
- Virtual Study Abroad Fair: In celebration of IEW, EducationUSA will be offering an informative and engaging week-long virtual program for prospective students interested in studying in the United States. Each day we will focus on a particular higher education institutional type. The daily program includes live webinar sessions with American university representatives and a video showcase featuring various U.S. institutions. Be sure to take a look at the program schedule and register for free to get more information and event reminders! Please register here https://sites.google.com/educationusa.org/virtual-week-road-show
- AIT Facebook Education Campaign: Every week AIT’s Facebook will share one EducationUSA update on various topics. Additionally, you will find our weekly American English post, based on a monthly theme, to promote English language education. In celebration of IEW, the theme for American English posts will be on vocabulary related to “Studying in the USA,” echoing the other EducationUSA posts to promote U.S. education. Follow us at https://www.facebook.com/AIT.Social.Media
- American Spaces IEW promotion: All American centers will have displays of EducationUSA materials. On November 17th an AIT officer will share his U.S. education experience to a group of 60 students from Chiao Tung University. On Saturday 14th at Taipei American Space Fulbright alumni will share their experience. And the American Innovation Center is excited to give away swag to the first 100 who register for membership and visit the AIC during IEW.
- Fulbright Taiwan Thanksgiving Reception. The Fulbright Program highlights the State Department’s dedication to promoting international education. Over the past 60 years, more than 3,500 Taiwanese students have received funding through Fulbright. In addition to study and research grants, Fulbright also provides opportunities for Americans to become an English Teaching Assistant (ETA), providing language teaching in underprivileged areas throughout Taiwan. Similarly, the Fulbright Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA) facilitates Taiwanese teacher to teach Chinese language in America. On November 20, Fulbright Taiwan will host a Thanksgiving Dinner for the ETAs, graduate students, as well as Taiwan grantees who are departing for the United States in early 2021.
Details of IEW activities: https://www.facebook.com/AIT.Social.Media
Registration for free public Education Outreach events: https://www.educationusa.tw/